Tomato Scrambled Eggs Taiwanese Style | 台式番茄炒蛋
Tomato Scrambled Eggs is a sweet and sour dish using ingredients that’s already in the fridge! This is a Taiwanese family favorite since it increases everyone’s appetite(especially kids) and a great side to your lunch box.
It’s tomato season!!! They are everywhere at the Rochester downtown farmer’s market. Besides all the usual things to do with tomatoes: ketchup, can tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato juice, salsa… why not try something new?
Tomato scrambled eggs, Taiwanese style isn’t your usual breakfast dish. This is a home-style dish often seen only at dinner table or in lunch boxes. It is easy to make, tasty and kids love it! A great way to encourage kids to eat more vegetables.
In Taiwan, or most Asian countries really, there’s never just one dish when you sit down and eat. We don’t always have a obvious “main dish”, there are usually 4~15 different dishes(depends on the size of the family and occasion) to go with rice when you have a meal. In that case, fast and easy dishes are always favorites of moms, and that’s probably where all the stir-frying came from.
Ketchup is probably my favorite condiment, it is in almost every kitchen and it basically works like a seasoned tomato paste with vinegar, sugar, salt and corn starch(a thickening agent) already cooked into one. It helps with the consistency of this dish and enhance the flavor. If using ketchup is not up your alley, leave it out and add an extra table spoon of sugar and a dash of vinegar right after the tomatoes are in the pan, a little extra salt might be needed as well to season the dish. If the dish seems too runny, mix 1/2tsp of corn starch with 2TBsp of water then stir into the pan and simmer until it reaches the desired thickness.
SHARE YOUR EXPERIMENT WITH US ON INSTAGRAM WITH #CHEWEXPERIMENT!!!
OR HOP ON OVER TO OUR FACEBOOK PAGE AND TELL US HOW YOU LIKE THE RECIPE.
Tomato Scrambled Eggs
A sweet and sour dish using ingredients that's already in the fridge! This is a Taiwanese family favorite since it increases everyone's appetite(especially kids) and a great side to your lunch box.
- 2TBsp Oil
- Beat in a bowl:
- 5 Medium Eggs (or 4 Large)
- 1/4tsp Ground White Pepper (Optional)
- 1/8t Salt
- Heat up 1 TBsp oil in a pan, add egg mixture and scramble. Remove the eggs into a bowl
- Heat up another 1TBsp oil in the same pan, add 1tsp finely chopped ginger and 1 Small chopped onions and fry until onions are translucent
- Add 2 Chopped Medium sized tomatoes and stir until slightly softened (If not using Ketchup: Add 1TBsp sugar, 1/2T Vinegar, 1/2tsp salt)
- Stir in
- 3TBsp Ketchup
- 1/2C Water
- Add the scrambled eggs and reduce sauce to desired thickness
- Add 1 sprig of green onions chopped into 2″ pieces
- Plate and serve!!
- If the dish seems too runny, mix 1/2tsp of corn starch with 2TBsp of water then stir into the pan and simmer until it reaches the desired thickness.